Displacement 364 tons; length 109'9"; depth 13'3"; complement 80; armament 2 32-pounders, 8 short 32-pounder carronades
The second Lawrence was launched by Langley B. Culley at Baltimore 1 August 1843 and commissioned 19 September 1843, Comdr. William H. Gardner in command.
After sailing to the Norfolk Navy Yard on 11 October 1843, Lawrence fitted out for a cruise to the West Indies. Underway 16 November, the ship cruised along the northern coast of South America until returning to Pensacola, Fla., 25 January 1844. She began a second cruise on 5 February, visiting Havana, Cuba, before proceeding north to Hampton Roads 8 March for repairs at the Norfolk Navy Yard.
As tensions escalated in the Gulf of Mexico, Lawrence sailed south to join the Home Squadron on 14 June. She spent the next year cruising along the Gulf Coast, providing security to American shipping in the region and helping suppress piracy.
After war broke out following a clash of arms in Texas on 25 April 1846, Lawrence cruised on a blockade station off the Mexican coast, remaining there until 17 June. In the interim, the brig landed sailors to help protect Point Isabel on 31 April.
Lawrence's usefulness was limited by a deep draft that limited her to deeper water, as well as limited cargo space, and the brig was ordered to New York, arriving there via Pensacola on 3 September.
The brig decommissioned at New York on 12 September 1846 and was sold at Boston later in the year.